A standard protein shake:
1. Protein powder: I choose hypoallergenic protein from rice & pea. Together they make a complete amino acid profile. Look for something high in protein, ~20g, sweetened with stevia (a no calorie natural sweetener).
2. Antioxidants: mixed berries are high in antioxidants, and low on the glycemic index. Look for organic.
3. Fibre: I use 1 tbsp of chia seeds. You can also use freshly ground flax or psyllium husk.
4. Healthy fats: avocado, higher in potassium than bananas, very low in fructose, and full of heart healthy mono saturated fats! Usually ¼ will do.
5. Mix: I use unsweetened coconut milk, but almond, rice, non gmo soy etc will do.
6. Extras: matcha green tea, turmeric, maca powder found at bulk food stores, lecithin, greens powder or a handful of spinach or kale. All depends on taste and what type of support you want!
7. Winter tip: add warming spices to you shake like a pinch of cardamom or cinnamon. If you still find shakes too chilly first thing in the am. have them as midmorning snacks or after workout snacks.
Shake away, and enjoy!
#dartmouth #halifax #naturopathic #health #proteinpowder #smoothies #shakes #avocado #matcha #cardamom #berries #coconutmilk (at Dartmouth Naturopathic Health Centre)